This blog is about books, eBooks , my memories .

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Seven Presents


سلام

کمتر از چهل روز تا سال نو میلادی باقی مانده است، چه زود گذشت! ​

_________________________________

Mrs. Lippett brought accusing eyes to bear upon the prisoner in the dock, and the prisoner looked guilty because it seemed to be expected not because she could remember any strikingly black pages in her record

Of course the usual disposition of one in your place would be to put you in a position where you could begin to work , but you have done well in school in certain branches; it seems that your work in English has even been brilliant. Miss Pritchard, who is on our visiting committee, is also on the school board; she has been talking with your rhetoric teacher, and made a speech in your favor. She also read aloud an essay that you have written entitled,"Blue Wednesday".

Jerusha's guilty expression this time was not assumed

--------------------------------
اسم
rhetoric علم بدیع ، علم فصاحت و بلاغت
essay مقاله ، انشا، تألیف
-----------------------------
صفت
entitled محقق، موکل
assumed مفروض
---------------------------------
فعل

to entitle اسم گذاشتن روی کتاب ، فیلم و غیره، عنوان گذاشتن، حق چیزی را دادن ، محق کردن

-----------------------------------------

در این لحظه خانم لیپت نگاهی به جروشا کرد که تمام بدن جروشا لرزید.

- بله ... با این که نمره های تو خیلی خوب بود و در درس انگلیسی هم نمره های عالی آورده بودی و دوشیزه پریچارد که یکی از اعضای پرورشگاه هست، از تو خیلی دفاع کرد و یکی از انشاهای ترا که در مورد " چهارشنبه ی غم انگیز " نوشته بودی خواند

_____________________________

شنبه
-----

عالیجناب،

با کمال افتخار اجازه می خواهد کشفیات خود را در زمینه ی هندسه به اطلاع آن جناب برساند.

جمعه ی گذشته ما مطالعات خود را در مورد متوازی السطوح به پایان رسانیدیم و به تحقیق در مورد منشور ناقص مشغول شدیم. البته تحقیق و مطالعه در این زمینه بسیار سخت و دشوار به نظر می آید.


یکشنبه
--------

تعطیلات کریسمس هفته ی آینده شروع خواهد شد، دخترها از همین حالا چمدان های خود را بسته اند و در راهرو گذاشته اند. بطوریکه عبور در راهرو بسیار به سختی انجام می گیرد. صدای هیاهو و خنده همه از هر اتاقی شنیده می شود، همه دست از درس خواندن و مطالعه کردن کشیده اند . غیر از من یک دختر دیگر در مدرسه خواهد ماند. ما با هم قرار گذاشته ایم که یک برنامه پیاده روی و قدم زدن ترتیب بدهیم و اگر یخ باشد سر سره یاد بگیریم . وانگهی خواندن چندین کتاب نیز جزو برنامه ما خواهد بود.
خدانگهدار بابا،
امیدوارم شما هم مثل من احساس شادمانی کنید.

ارادتمند همیشگی
جودی


( پیوست نامه )

راستی یادتان باشد که پاسخ پرسش های مرا بدهید، اگر خودتان مایل به این کار نیستید ، خواهشمندم دستور بفرمایید تا منشی شما این کار را بکند. اگر از طریق تلگرام پاسخ بدهید هم اشکالی ندارد.

سر آقای اسمیت طاس نیست.
یا
سر آقای اسمیت طاس است.
یا
موهای آقای اسمیت سفید است.

در ضمن می توانید 25 سنت پول تلگرام را از ماهانه ی من کسر بفرمایید.

تا ژانویه خدانگهدار
عید شما مبارک
___________________________________


Towards the end of the Christmas vacation. Exact date unknown
Dear Daddy-Long-Legs,

Is it snowing where you are? All the world that I see from my tower is draped in white and the flakes are coming down as big as pop-corns. It's late afternoon--the sun is just setting ( a cold yellow color) behind some colder violet hills, and I am up in my window seat using the last light to write to you.

Your five gold pieces were a surprise! I'm not used to receiving Christmas presents. You have already given me such lots of things--everything I have, you know --that I don't quite feel that I deserve extras. But I like them just the same. Do you want to know what I bought with my money?

  1. A silver watch in a leather case to wear on my wrist and get me to recitations in time.
  2. Matthew Arnold's poems.
  3. A hot water bottle.
  4. A steamer rug. ( My tower is cold.)
  5. Five hundred sheets of yellow manuscript paper. ( I'm going to commence being an author pretty soon.)
  6. A dictionary of synonyms. ( To enlarge the author's vocabulary.)
  7. ( I don't much like to confess this last item, but I will) A pair of silk stockings.

And now, Daddy, never say I don't tell all!
It was a very low motive, if you must know it, that prompted the silk stockings. Julia Pendleton comes into my room to do geometry, and she sits cross-legged on the couch and wears silk stockings every night. But just wait--as soon as she gets back from vacation I shall go in and sit on her couch in my silk stockings. You see, Daddy, the miserable creature that I am but at least I'm honest; and you knew already, from my asylum record, that I wasn't perfect, didn't you?

To recapitulate ( that's the way the English instructor begins every other sentence) , I am very much obliged for my seven presents. I'm pretending to myself that they came in a box from my family in California.

The watch is from father, the rug from mother, the hot water bottle from grandmother who is always worrying for fear I shall catch cold in this climate-- and the yellow paper from my little brother Harry. My sister Isabel gave me the silk stockings,and Aunt Susan the Matthew Arnold poems; Uncle Harry ( little Harry is named after him) gave me the dictionary. He wanted to send chocolates, but I insisted on synonyms.
You don't object, do you, to playing the part of composite family?





M.T

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Text Widget

Copyright © iIslandbooks | Powered by Blogger

Design by Anders Noren | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com