This blog is about books, eBooks , my memories .

Friday, October 4, 2013

Everyone has a Story to Tell






"Read, read, read. Read everything -- trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it.
Then write. If it's good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out of the window."

​       ​
William Faulkner

 

Inline image 2


8 Things You Should Not Do Every Day

BY Jeff Haden

It's for your own good. Cut these things out of your day and you'll see gains in productivity--not to mention happiness.



If you get decent value from making to-do lists, you'll get huge returns--in productivity, in improved relationships, and in your personal well-being--from adding these items to your not to-do list:

Every day, make the commitment not to:


1. Check my phone while I'm talking to someone.

You've done it. You've played the, "Is that your phone? Oh, it must be mine," game. You've tried the you-think-sly-but-actually-really-obvious downwards glance. You've done the, "Wait, let me answer this text..." thing.

Maybe you didn't even say, "Wait." You just stopped talking, stopped paying attention, and did it.

Want to stand out? Want to be that person everyone loves because they make you feel, when they're talking to you, like you're the most important person in the world?

Stop checking your phone. It doesn't notice when you aren't paying attention.

Other people? They notice.

And they care.

Read more:

http://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/8-things-you-should-not-do-every-day.html!#

 



​​
​                         ​
Everyone has a story to tell


Inline image 1

Storytelling

One of the most energizing aspects of my job is the opportunity I have a few times each year to share Burberry's story with external audiences at conferences and events around the world.

These are great moments to step back and reflect on what our teams are achieving and how they are writing the next chapter in our 157-year history. They are also great moments to hear from organizations and individuals I admire, and to discover new people and fresh ideas– I always come away inspired.

Next week I have the privilege to speak at a number of events in the US, talking to groups as diverse as senior executives in the financial services industry, designers, technologists and young community leaders. In preparing for these discussions, and reviewing the agendas, I have been struck as much by what unites these very different platforms as what distinguishes them. From an ex-US Secretary of State, to social media pioneers, to video game designers and film directors, they all have something in common.


Read more: http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130928204307-269697626-storytelling

 

Inline image 3

How to Build a Loyal Following

BY Kevin Daum

Despite predictions, Apple breaks its own sales record once again. Here, Inc. columnists give you insights on how you can replicate that success in your own business.


Most everyone who questioned Apple's post-Jobs capability was silenced this weekend. Despite the 33 percent drop in the stock price this year, the public demonstrated its love for Apple products with a record-smashing 9 million sales of iPhones this weekend. This is pretty amazing considering there were minimal changes in technology. What's more, everyone knows that six months from now Apple will release another product that will improve upon the last. Yet millions worldwide act as if this is the last cool product that will ever exist, lining up to be first, even though in a few months they won't have to wait.

There are marketing lessons to be learned here. For one thing, Apple goes to great lengths to add mystery and scarcity to its launches. Here are more great takeaways from my fellow columnists:


Read more:

http:http://www.inc.com/kevin-daum/how-to-build-a-loyal-following.html#!


 

"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader."
  Robert Frost

 

Inline image 4

5 OrganizationsEvery CEO Should Consider Joining

 

It's lonely at the top. Even with my wife as my business partner, and an amazing Advisory Board, my entrepreneurial journey has been at times a scary one.

Three-and-a-half years ago, I joined an organization which changed my life for the better — Entrepreneurs Organization (EO). I joined it to help grow my growing business, not knowing that I would meet my closest friends there and focus on personal growth and family growth as much as any business issues. I have no doubt that the formula works, though. Three years after joining EO, I am a better CEO, leader, father, husband and person.

Here is information about five organizations that every CEO should take a look at:


Business Networking International (BNI)


Read more:

http://www.ceo.com/news_and_insights/5-organizations-every-ceo-should-consider-joining/?utm_content=buffer51585&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer#!


 Inline image 1

17 Things You Should Never Say toYour Boss

"Leave me alone!"


I said it to my boss at Radio Disney many years ago. I was a young, very high-performing salesperson, and he was my sales manager. Even though I was generating huge sales numbers, I was often late to work, or meetings, and every morning, as I passed by his office, he would look down at his watch and shake his head disapprovingly.

I knew I was wrong to be late, but I got increasingly frustrated by his looking down at that watch, his complaints to me, and his lack of positive recognition about my sales accomplishments. So one day, after coming in at 9:05, just 5 minutes late, and seeing him look down at that watch again, I marched right into his office and told him to leave me alone.


Read more:

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130923134035-15077789-17-things-you-should-never-say-to-your-boss


Inline image 2


Download 160 Free Business-Themed Stock Photos


Free images to use in your marketing campaigns -- no royalties, no fees, no worries.



Just about every part of marketing relies on visual content. But finding high-quality images that you can use without attribution, without licensing troubles, and without having to purchase each time is nearly impossible.





"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
  Ernest Hemingway


                                 Have Fun
                             M.T

 



































--

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Text Widget

Copyright © iIslandbooks | Powered by Blogger

Design by Anders Noren | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com