This blog is about books, eBooks , my memories .

Friday, December 5, 2014

That Special Visitor

Walking in Garden, May
صبح بخیر


-------------------------------------
The windows are up high; you can't look out from an ordinary seat. But I unscrewed the looking-glass from the back of the bureau, upholstered the top and moved it up against the window. It's just the right height for a window seat. You pull out the drawers like steps and walk up.Very comfortable!

Sallie McBride helped me choose the things at the Senior auction. She has lived in a house all her life and knows about furnishing. you can't imagine what fun it is to shop and pay with a real five-dollar bill and get some change--when you've never had more than a few cents in your life. I assure you, Daddy dear, I do appreciate that allowance.

Sallie is the most entertaining person in the world--and Julia Rutledge Pendleton the least so. It's queer what a mixture the registrar can make in the matter of room-mates. Sallie thinks everything is funny--even flunking--and Julia is bored at everything. She never makes slightest effort to be amiable. She believes that if you are a Pendleton, that fact alone admits you to heaven without any further examination. Julia and I were born to be enemies.

And now I suppose you've been waiting very impatiently to hear what I am learning?

1.Latin: Second Punic war. Hannibal and his forces pitched camp at Lake Trasimenus last night . They prepared an ambuscade for the Romans, and a battle took place at the fourth watch this morning. Romans in retreat.
2. French: 24 pages of the Three Musketeers and third conjugation, irregular verbs.
3. Geometry: Finished cylinders; now doing cones.
4. English: Studying exposition. My style improves daily in clearness and brevity.
5. Physiology: Reached the digestive system.
 Bile and the pancreas next time.

Yours, on the way to being educated,
 Jerusha Abbott


PS. I hope you never touch alcohol,Daddy? It does dreadful things to your liver
اسم


bureau میز کشو دار، گنجه جالباسی، دفتر ، اداره ، دیوان
looking-glass آیینه
battle جنگ
liver کبد، جگر
Bile صفرا
brevity کوتاهی ، اختصار، ایجاز
clearness  سلاست
pancreas لوزالمعده
digestive گوارش، هاضمه
Physiology زیست شناسی، فیزیولوژی
exposition تقریر، بیان ، شرح
cone مخروط
cylinder استوانه
Geometry هندسه
conjugation صرف ،
پیوستگیirregular بی قاعده
Musketeer تفنگ دار
ambuscade کمین، کمینگاه
effort  تقلا، تلاش ، کوشش، سعی
auction حراج ، مزایده
registrar ثبت کننده، مدیر دروس
mixture  مخلوط، مخلوطی، ترکیب
flunk شکست
------------------------------
------------
صفت
queer  عجیب ، غریب ، غیر عادی ، خل
digestive گوارشی ، گوارا
amiable شیرین ، دلپذیر ، مهربان
--------------------------------------

فعل
to appreciate قدردانی کردن از ، تقدیر کردن ، احساس کردن، قدر چیزی را دانستن
to flunk شکست خوردن در امتحانات
to pitch اردو زدن
to retreat عقب نشینی کردن
to auction حراج کردن ، به مزایده گذاشتن ، فروختن
to assure  ، اطمینان دادن ، خاطر جمع کردن، بیمه کردن
to unscrew باز کردن، شل کردن ، واپیچاندن
to upholster مبلمان کردن ، پرده زدن

پنجره ها خیلی بلند هستند

به طور عادی نمی شود بیرون را تماشا کرد . من برای اینکه بیرون را ببینم آینه ی میز آرایش را باز کرده ام، بعد آنرا جلوی پنجره می کشم و هر وقت بخواهم بالا بروم، کشوی میز آرایش را در می آورم و از آن به عنوان پله استفاده می کنم ، بدون دردسر.


سالی به من کمک کرد و من این اجناس و اثاث را در یک حراجی خریدم . هر چه باشد سالی در یک خانواده ی درست و حسابی بزرگ شده و این چیزها را می داند. شما حتی حدس هم نمی توانید بزنید که خرید چقدر برای من دوست داشتنی است . دوست دارم یک پنج دلاری بدهم و بقیه اش را بگیرم . من تاکنون هرگز بیش از پنج سنت پول نداشته ام.
آها بابا جون ، من خوب قدر پول تو جیبی ماهانه را می دانم .
هرچه سالی دختر پرجوشی است ، بعکس جولیا نیست . من سر در نمی آورم که خانم ناظم چطور در انتخاب هم اتاقی ها کج سلیقه بوده است. سالی از همه چیز خنده اش می گیرد ، اما جولیا از هر چیزی زود خسته می شود ، حوصله ندارد و خودش را کنار می کشد. هرگز با هیچکس هماهنگی ندارد. معتقد است کسی که نامش پندلتون است کارش رو به راه است و جایش در بهشت برین است.
فکر می کنم من و جولیا از همان روز اول مخالف یکدیگر آفریده شده ایم.
خب به طور حتم حالا انتظار دارید کمی در مورد درس هایم بنویسم ، درس های من به شرح زیر هستند:
1- درس لاتین - جنگ " هانیبال" علیه رمی ها ، عقب نشینی رمی ها.
2- درس فرانسه- 24 صفحه از " سه تفنگدار " ، صرف سوم شخص افعال بی قاعده.
3-درس هندسه- مبحث استوانه را تمام کرده ایم و به محبث مخروطات رسیده ایم.
4- درس انگلیسی- شرح و تفسیر.
5- درس فیزیولوژی- رسیدیم به جهاز هاضمه - کیسه ی صفرا لوزالمعده .
                                                  در راه آموزش درس
                                                                جروشا آبوت

پیوست نامه
امیدوارم شما مشروب خور نباشید بابا، الکل دشمن کبد است.

-----------------------------
جمعه ساعت 9:30 بعد از ظهر

این همه دردسر! صبح زنگ مدرسه را نشنیدم. بعد به خاطر عجله ای که کردم بند کفشم پاره شد، جا تکمه ای یخه ام شکافت و پشتم افتاد . به صبحانه دیر رسیدم . در نتیجه ساعت اول هم دیر سر کلاس حاضر شدم . یادم رفت جوهر خشک کن بیاورم ، چون خودنویسم جوهر پس می داد.
زنگ مثلثات با استادم کمی بگومگو داشتیم ، موضوع بر سر لگاریتم بود، بعد که به کتاب نگاه کردم متوجه شدم او راست می گفته است.
برای ناهار گوشت پخته و نان مربایی داشتیم ، من از هر دوی آن ها بدم می آید. مزه اش مثل غذاهای پرورشگاه است، پست فقط برای من صورتحساب آورد ، هر چند که نامه ای برای من نمی آید و من خانواده ای ندارم که برایم نامه بنویسد.
 

امروز بعد از ظهر سر درس انگلیسی شعری به ما دادند که معنی کنیم. من که نمی دانم شاعر این شعر چه کسی است و شعرش چه معنی دارد. من وارد کلاس که شدم شعر را روی تخته سیاه نوشته بودند:

من چیز دیگری نخواستم
استنکاف دیگری هم نبود
من پیشنهاد هستی آن را دادم.
بازرگان لبخندی زد.
برزیل؟ او دکمه ای را چرخاند
بدون اشاره و نظری به من راه رفت
اما، خانم آیا چیز دیگری هم هست؟
که ما امروز نشان دهیم؟

از ما خیلی فوری خواستند تا آن را ترجمه کنیم، من هر چه آن را خواندم چیزی نفهمیدم. این من نبودم که از شعر سر درنیاوردم . همه کلاس درد مرا داشتند. 45 دقیقه همه بچه ها داشتند به تخته سیاه نگاه می کردند. یک کلمه هم کسی روی کاغذ چیزی ننوشت ، چقدر این درس ها سخت است. فکر نکنید دردسر تمام شد، هنوز دنباله دارد.
باران شروع به باریدن کرد و ما نتوانستیم گلف بازی کنیم . به جایش رفتم به اتاق ژیمناستیک.
دختر کنار دستم با یک چوب هندی محکم به آرنج من زد. وقتی به اتاقم برگشتم دیدم لباس آبی بهاره را که داده بودم بدوزند، برایم فرستاده اند و دامنش آنقدر تنگ بود که نمی توانستم بنشینم

جمعه ها روز نظافت و جارو کشی است. پیشخدمت تمام کاغذهای روی میز را بهم ریخته بود. امشب در کلیسا ما را 20 دقیقه بیشتر نگاهداشتند سرانجام وقتی به اتاق آمدم و نفسم راحت شد، خواستم کتاب " سیمای یک زن" را شروع کنم که دختری به نام " آکرلی" که سر کلاس لاتین کنار من می نشیند چون نام او هم با (آ) شروع می شود ( کاش خانم لیپت نام مرا " یابراسکی " که  "ی" حرف آخر است می گذاشت ) آمد بپرسد که روز دوشنبه صفحه ی 69 است یا صفحه ی 70

دختر بسیار بی استعدادی است ، یک ساعت نشست و حالا تازه رفت. تاکنون این همه بدبیاری داشته اید؟ قبول کنید ناراحتی های بزرگ نیست که لازم است آدم در مقابل آنها شکیبایی کند، بلکه دردسرهای کوچک و پیش پا افتاده است که آدم را از پا در می آورد و باید آدم با لبخند آنها را تحمل کند و جدی روحیه لازم دارد. من دارم تلاش می کنم که این روحیه را در خودم به وجود بیاورم ، دارم به خودم می قبولانم که زندگی یک صحنه بازی است، من هم باید بازیگر ماهری باشم ، چه برنده چه بازنده باید شانه ها را از روی بی قیدی بالا بیندازم و بخندم. حالا می خواهد جولیا جوراب ابریشمی بپوشد و یا هزار پا از سقف تالاپی بیفتد.
مطمئن باشید که دیگر من از چیزی شکایتی نخواهم کرد.

ارادتمند همیشگی
جودی
زود جواب بدهید
---------------------------------

27th May Daddy-Long-Legs,Esq.


DEAR SIR: I am in receipt of a letter from Mrs. Lippet. She hopes that I am doing well in deportment and studies. Since I probably have no place to go this summer, she will let me come back to the asylum and work for my board until college opens.
 I HATE THE JOHN GRIPER HOME.
 I'd rather die than go back.

 Yours most truthfully,
Jerusha Abbott



 

Cher Daddy-Jambes-Longes,

Vous etes un brick!
Je suis tres heureuse about the farm, parceque je n'ai jamais been on a farm dans ma vie and I'd hate to retoumer chez John Grier, et wash dishes tout I'ete. There would be danger of quelque chose affreuse happening, parceque j'ai perdue ma humilite d'autre fois et j'ai peur that I would just break out quelque jour et smash every cup and saucer dans la maison.
Pardon brievete et paper. je ne peux pas send des mes nouvells parceque je suis dans French class et j'ai peur que Monsieur le Professor is going to call on me tout de suit.
He did!

Au revoir,
je vous aims beaucoup.
Judy



 

30th May Dear Daddy-Long-Legs,

Did you ever see this campus? ( That is merely a rhetorical question. Don't let it annoy you. ) It is a heavenly spot in May. All the shrubs are in blossom and the trees are the loveliest young green--even the old pines look fresh and new. The grass is dotted with yellow dandelions and hundreds of girls in blue and white and pink dresses. Everybody is joyous and carefree, for vacation's coming, and with that to look forward to, examinations don't count.

Isn't that a happy frame of mind to be in? And oh, Daddy! I'm the happiest of all! Because I'm not in the asylum any more; and I'm not anybody's nursemaid or typewriter or bookkeeper ( I should have been, you know, except for you).

I'm sorry now for all my past badnesses.
I'm sorry I was ever impertinent to Mrs. Lippett.
I'm sorry I ever slapped Freddie Perkins.
I'm sorry I ever filled the sugar bowl with salt.
I'm sorry I ever made faces behind the Trustees' back.
I'm going to be good and sweet and kind to everybody because I'm so happy.

And this summer I'm going to write and write and write and begin to be a great author. Isn't that an exalted stand to take? Oh, I'm developing a beautiful character! It droops a bit under cold and frost, but it does grow fast when the sun shines.

That's the way with everybody. I don't agree with theory that adversity and sorrow and disappointment develop moral strength. The happy people are the ones who are bubbling over with kindliness. I have no faith in misanthropes. ( Fine word! Just learned it.) You are not a misanthrope are you, Daddy?
I started to tell you about the campus. I wish you'd come for a little visit and let me walk you about and say:

'That is the library. This is the gas plant, Daddy dear. The Gothic buiding on your left is the gymnasium, and the Tudor Romanesque beside it is the new infirmary.'

Oh, I'm fine at showing people about. I've done it all my life at the asylum, and I've been doing it all day here. I have honestly. And a Man, too!

That's a great experience. I never talked to a man before ( except occasional Trustees, and they don't count) . Pardon, Daddy, I don't mean to hurt your feeling when I abuse Trustees. I don't consider that you really belong among them. You just tumbled on the Board by chance. The Trustee, as such, is fat and pompous and benevolent. He pats one on the head and wears a gold watch chain.
That looks like a Jung bug, but is meant to be a portrait of any Trustee except you.

However--to resume:
I have been walking and talking and having tea with a man. And with very superior man--with Mr. Jervis Pendleton of the House of Julia; her uncle, in short ( in long , perhaps I ought to say; he's as tall as you.)

Being in town on business, he decided to run out to the college and call on his nieces. He's her father' s youngest brother, but she doesn't know him very intimately. It seems he glanced at her when she was a baby, decided he didn't like her, and had never noticed her since.

Anyway, there he was, sitting in the reception room very proper with his hat and stick and gloves beside him; and Julia and Sallie with seventh hour recitations that they couldn't cut. So Julia dashed into my room and begged me to walk him about the campus and then deliver him to her when the seventh hour was over. I said I would, obligingly but unenthusiastically, because I don't care much for Pendletons.

But he turned out to be a sweet lamb. He's a real human being--not a Pendleton at all. We had a beautiful time; I've longed for an uncle ever since. Do you mind pretending you're my uncle? I believe they're superior to grandmothers.
Mr. Pendleton reminded me a little of you, Daddy, as you were twenty years ago. You see I know you intimately, even if we haven't ever met!

He's tall and thinnish with a dark face all over lines, and the funniest underneath smile that never quite comes through but just wrinkles up the corners of his mouth. And he has a way of making you feel right off as though you'd known him a long time. He's very companionable .

We walked all over the campus from the quadrangle to the athletic grounds; then he said he felt weak and must have some tea. He proposed that we go to College Inn--it's just off the campus by the pine walk. I said we ought to go back for Julia and Sallie, but he said he didn't like to have his nieces drink too much tea; it made them nervous. So we just ran away and had tea and muffins and marmalade and ice-cream and cake at a nice little table out on the balcony. The inn was quite conveniently empty, this being the end of the month and allowances low.

We had the jolliest time! But he had to run for his train the minute he got back and he barely saw Julia at all. She was furious with me for taking him off; it seems he's an unusually rich and desirable uncle. It relieved my mind to find he was rich, for the tea and things cost sixty cents apiece.

This morning (it's Monday now) three boxes of chocolates came by express for Julia and Sallie and me. What do you think of that? To be getting candy from a man!
I begin to feel like a girl instead of a foundling.
I wish you'd come and have tea some day and let me see if I like you. But wouldn't it be dreadful if I didn't ? However, I know I should.
Bien!
I make you my compliments.

'Jamais je ne t'oublierai.'
Judy

PS. I looked in the glass this morning and found a perfectly new dimple that I'd never seen before. It's very curious. Where do you suppose it came from?


M.T

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Text Widget

Copyright © iIslandbooks | Powered by Blogger

Design by Anders Noren | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com